Outdoor Plants Harmful to Cats & Dogs

Outdoor Plants Harmful to Cats & Dogs

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Lots of dogs and even some cats like to sample the menu when they wander into gardens or anywhere outdoor plants reside. Most plants won't harm them, but some outdoor plants can make your pets sick. If you suspect that they've eaten a dangerous plant, call your vet right away.


Crocus plants come in two varieties, the spring-blooming and the autumn-blooming. Both can cause abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea, but the effects of autumn crocus are much more severe. Autumn crocus can cause gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure. If you’re unsure which variety your pet might have ingested, take the plant and your pet to the vet immediately.


Eating azalea leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling in pets. Azalea is extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can lead to coma and death if not treated immediately.


Cyclamen plants are tubers that grow through the autumn and winter. Its roots are especially toxic and pose a threat to dogs who dig out the plant. Eating cyclamen roots can cause severe vomiting and even death.


Lilies come in many varieties, some fairly harmless and some highly toxic to pets. Peace, Peruvian and calla lilies can irritate pets' mouths and cause minor drooling. But tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese show lilies can cause severe kidney failure in cats, even if very little is ingested. Dogs do not tend to have the same reaction, but it is best to keep them away from lilies of all kinds.


Oleander is an evergreen plant that blooms delicate red or purple flowers. Its leaves and flowers, however, can cause severe vomiting and decreased heart rate in cats and dogs. If left untreated, oleander poisoning can lead to death.


Eating the crystals found in the outer layer of daffodil bulbs can irritate pets' mouths and cause drooling. But eating any other part of a daffodil can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, heart arrhythmia or respiratory distress in pets.

Lily of the Valley and Foxglove

Though two entirely different plants, lilies of the valley and foxglove can trigger the same symptoms in pets who have ingested them. Vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe arrhythmia and seizures are common and can be life-threatening.

Sago Palm

Common in warmer climates, sago palms have leaves and seeds that can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining and severe liver failure in pets. If left untreated, ingestion of these leaves or seeds could lead to death.


Tulip bulbs are extremely toxic, particularly to dogs who dig them up. Chewing on the leaves or stems can irritate your dog's mouth and esophagus and could lead to drooling, vomiting or diarrhea. Typically, the animal's system is flushed with fluids and recovery is likely. Eating the bulbs, however, can lead to rapid heart rate and severe respiratory distress.

Watch the video: Top 10 Common Plants Poisonous to Dogs (August 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos